5 Steps to Help You Deal with Energy Suckers
“Something I learned about people…...If they do it once, they will do it again.” ~Anonymous
[dropcap]H[/dropcap]ave you ever been out with someone and by the time you are done spending time around them, you’re ready to collapse? Is there a person in your life who for some unknown reason (at least, unknown to you) makes your stomach sink every time you see them?
DING! DING! DING!
If you answered “yes” to either of these simple questions, you have an “energy sucker” on your hands. B-U-M-M-E-R!
So, what are you going to do about it? Many times these “vampires” are people we work with, old friends, or the worst, someone in your family. Figuring out how to stay away from these types of people can get tr-tr-tricky, but I have some solutions for you.
Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform your Life by Judith Orloff, M.D. “Energy doesn't lie. Keep sensing it, trusting it, letting it liberate you.”
First things first, though. You’re likely going to have to get burned at least once (if not a bunch of times) before you realize what you are dealing with. I know this sucks, but it’s actually a blessing in disguise. Getting your ass handed to you (emotionally) will teach you—albeit the hard way—how to distance yourself from people who make you feel like crap. Life is WAAAAAYYYYYY to short to deal with co-workers, “friends” or family who bring you down . . . and the sooner you figure that out the better!
What exactly are we dealing with here (i.e., common characteristics of this creature)?
A. People who make you feel like you’re worthless
B. People who are generally (or always) negative
C. People who you don’t trust on a gut level
D. People who drain you
This side of just flat out abandoning ship and moving to another state (“Run, Forrest! Run!!!”), you have two choices at this point: 1) Keep feeling like a beaten down dog around these folks OR 2) Plot your liberation.
I say, “START PLOTTING!”
Here are 5 simple steps to guide you in your desire to rid yourself of any energy-suckers you may be encountering:
1. Recognize you are not crazy. If you feel down or drained or disturbed around certain people, know they are not right for you.
2. Clearly establish in your mind, heart and soul that you come first, that you are always going to do what is right for YOU!
3. Don’t let old rules hold you captive. The times they are a-changin’, and once you see the signs of an energy-sucker in your vicinity, it’s time for you to motor on.
4. Don’t say YES when you mean NO. Set whatever boundaries you require to keep him/her out of your life (e.g., drop them from your “Contacts” list, block their phone #, tell them you’ll leave the room if they try to talk with you).
5. Put extra time and attention on building your inner strength through boosting up your health (e.g., better nutrition, more exercise) and revitalizing your spiritual practice (e.g., start meditating daily, increase the amount of time you spend in nature).
The fact is, the stronger you are “inside,” the better you’ll be able to protect yourself, have clarity about potentially troublesome people and situations, and know without a shadow of a doubt who and what is right for you. Your true power comes from within. And if you reconnect with or increase your personal power from such encounters as these, well then, you’ll be a “Grand Prize” winner in the game of establishing emotional freedom!
What do you do when you come in contact with an Emotional Vampire?
How do you feel AFTER you have gotten away from that sick energy?
Let’s help some sisters help themselves!